Wednesday, December 20, 2006

World Aids Day, Dhaka

Daily Star, 2 December 2006
Bideshi Girls Star in World Aids Day Rally
1 December 2006, Lucy and Shelley, anonymous in their native Australia, were made famous througout Dhaka for their staring role on the nightly news. The two Bideshis were supporting sex workers, Hijras, people living with HIV and their advocates in Dhaka's 10 000 person strong World Aids Day Rally....
True story! Shell and I went on the world Aids Day Rally with two of my work colleagues, and about 10 000 other people, were treated like celebreties by the other marchers, and made the nightly news!




I had met lots of the sex workers and Hijra at an HIV self help meeting that I observed, and so they were all keen to claim me as their friend, and to show us off to their friends and the media.



A friend's cook recently told us that he recognised us from television, and one of the kids that I work with told his whole family that he knew me... so we really are famous here!

It was amazing to be amongst so many people who are passionate about their cause, and so many people who are usually so marginalised within Bangladeshi society being so vocal about their rights. Such a good day!



Photos: My colleagues Munna bhai and Moni bhai with me(left), and with Shell (above); participants in the rally...









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home